Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fall Picnic

Yesterday I spent the day in Blacksburg with my parents. On my way home, I was trying to decide if I should stop at Goodwill. Goodwill won.

I saw this picnic basket ~ which I really don't need. I have my mom's and I also have one of my own. I also have a beautiful Longaberger basket that my best friend gave me as a retirement gift. She had the names of all the schools where I had taught printed on the lid. I should do another post about that. Back to my bargain.



Could you have passed this up?

The lid is attached with leather hinges.





Look at the toggle fastening as well.



Then I opened it.




It has the plastic, protective liner.



It has this wooden stand so food won't get mashed when you stack dishes inside.


It still had the liner in the plastic bag.

If you look closely in the top right corner, you will see that it also had stink bugs under that plastic liner. I couldn't scream as my hubby had gone to bed. I quickly put it outside on the porch. Will you take my word for it that it is stamped Longaberger on the bottom?

So why did I buy this picnic basket when I really didn't need one?
The price was $2.95!
What would you have done?


I'm linking up here:
http://charmbraceletdiva.blogspot.com/2011/09/club-gw-no-12-and-retro-home-decor.html

http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com/2011/09/twice-owned-party.html

http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2011/09/thrifty-thursday-131-plus-tablescape.html

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/more-thrifty-treasures

14 comments:

Michele said...

WOW! What a find! I think it would look great painted for tailgating. Thanks for visiting ~ I'm going to start following!

mtashie said...

Love your find! I have a picnic basket here too. I'm always seeing them at Goodwill though! A really nice find!!

Southhamsdarling said...

Yep, I would have succumbed and bought it!! What a fantastic find at such a good price.

Melissa G said...

A Longaberger basket for just $2.95?! I would have calmly picked it up, bought it, sauntered out the door, then DANCED all the way to my car!!! Awesome find! Enjoy!

Debby said...

I think it is a Longaberger basket. They are made close to where I live. What does it look like on the bottom. Is there a stamp and did someone sign and date it. If so, they used to be worth lots of money. Gone down a bit lately but stillo. Probably around $70. Yahoo.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I would have gladly bought this basket for $2.95 stink bugs and all! What a find and it looks unused with the liner still in the bag. WOW!

LindyLouMac said...

One can never have too many picnic baskets, especially at that price. :)

Anonymous said...

what a great find!!!

i just recently told my boyfriend i wanted a picnic basket (i love going on picnics here!) and he brought home a tiny canvas cooler. it did not make me happy :)

PS: thanks for your comments today :) they made my morning when i woke up and saw them!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I would have bought that in a heart beat!!!! You got a real deal on it and it will be handy for tailgates!

Andrea @Oasis Accents said...

Hi Patricia, I just had to comment. Finding a Longaberger for $2.95 is equivalent to hitting the lottery. I'm only about 45 min. from the corporate office (which is built to look like a giant version of the picnic basket). Fantastic find and I'm sure if you wanted to sell it you could make way more than 10x what you paid for it. Congrats!

Anny said...

I couldn't have passed that up!

Our Hopeful Home said...

You licky dog! I knew right away that it was a Longaberger! I have many Longabergers I've collected over the years, mostly from gifts. (I actually have this one.) Of course you had to buy it!

Thanks for linking up over at Club G.W. with Charm Bracelet Diva! The next party should be up sometime tonight!

xoxo
Kathleen

Comeca Jones said...

Bought it!!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

What a super find! Beautiful basket and beautiful buy! You will love using this picnic basket.